During the upcoming season the Hungarian Air Force Gripens will be seen on eight (or nine) different International Airshow Event across Europe. The new flying display program is under criticism by the Joint Forces Command of Hungary. After the program is going to be accepted the new display pilots will start the training first in the Upper Area than over the airfield simulating airshow-conditions. The new display pilots participated on a special training in Sweden this spring. During this training the new display pilots was able to learn the specific facilities of the Gripen. This year the two new demonstation pilot will be Major László "Szatyi" Szatmári and Captain András Gottschall. Interestingly, Major László "Szatyi" Szatmári was the display pilot of the MiG-29 Fulcrum when the type fulfilled its last solo display during Kecskemét International Airshow and Military Display in 2008. Szatyi flown great display with the special painted MiG-29B Fulcrum named "Gracy" without the usage of afterburner due to safety limitations. Last time the Hungarian Air Force sent Gripens to flying display in 2013, when Kecskemét Airshow was also organised. In this season the Gripen was flown by Captain Viktor Langó and Major Szabolcs Varga in event like RIAT, Radom Airshow or CIAF. Hungarian Gripen pilots prefer to use flares and special maneuver called "dump and burn" during their displays; the flying display programe for the upcoming season is not public yet, but it's sure, it will be a spectacular one.
About the new display program and the display pilots you will find further informations before the season on Airshowinfo.
Schedule of Hungarian Air Force Gripen Display for season 2017:
- Croatian Air Force Day 7th of May (flying display take-off from Kecskemét AFB)
- Motril International Airshow - Motril, Spain (flying display)
- NATO AWACS 35th Anniversary Open Day - Geilenkirchen, Germany (static display)
- Royal International Air Tattoo - Fairford, United Kingdom (flying display)
- Bucharest International Airshow - Bucharest, Romania (flying display)
- Slovak International Air Fest - Sliac, Slovakia (static display)
- International Sanicole Airshow - Sanicole, Belgium (flying display)
- NATO Days - Ostrava, Czech Republic (flying display)
The air force also have a plan to send Gripen display to an event in Serbia. The event to be confirmed!
Informations: Press Office of the Hungarian Ministry of Defence